Thursday, November 7, 2013

Blog Assignment #15:Everyday Iambic Conversation

Assignment:  You've been told so far that the iambic foot (u /), an unstressed syllable followed by a stressed syllable, is the pattern of everyday speech. Robert Frost, especially, showcases this idea--that even when we are having simple conversations which are not meant to be especially poetic or flowery or of elevated diction, our natural conversation rhythms fall within that pattern.

We talk essentially in iambic pentameter.

I'd like you to prove (or disprove) that theory. Here's how. Sometime between now and when the blog entry is due, I'd like you to go to a public place and capture word-for-word a conversation you overhear. Perhaps this is a teacher's lecture. Perhaps this is a conversation among dorm mates.Maybe you decide to write down a conversation you and your mother have. Maybe you record a fight between you and your sweetheart. You get the picture.

Be as thorough as you can in getting as many direct quotes as you can. This won't work if you are simply summarizing a conversation.

Then....

Type up that conversation within this blog space and put it to the test. Scan the conversation. Try to assess where unstressed and stressed syllables go.

Do the work of the scansion in the space of your blog entry.

p.s. I suppose this would also work if you wanted to capture some dialogue from a the local or national news, a political speech, a movie or a TV show. If you're diametrically opposed to playing spy to your unsuspecting friends, family, loved ones, teachers, etc., then you are welcome to snag something via media.

Let's aim for at least 14 lines/sentences to analyze.

Here are some examples of iambic pentameter (or close to it) overheard in daily conversation:


"I went and threw my uke so he fell
and hit the mat with a god damned bang."


"This choc-filled bun is wonderfully yum"

"I wait and wait: my mobile didn't ring."

"The dogs were running up and down the stairs."

"I can't believe she's *always* late, and then
she goes and does it yet again..."

"I try and try but nothing's going right
My boss is hurting not helping my confidence."

No comments:

Post a Comment